Saturday, January 19, 2013

#13 Winter's Bone (2010)

By Debra Granik.



I decided to watch this one after we had made plans to see Silver Linings, since I hadn't ever seen Jennifer Lawrence in anything, and since she appears to be the current talk-of-the-town (or "the most talented young actress in America" according to Rolling Stone), I wanted to do a bit more investigation.

This movie is much better than Silver Linings, and the actress is much better in this one, even though according to some, Silver Linings is a "career-defining performance." This movie (Winter's Bone) kind of does give her all the prerequisites to get a best actress nomination. She plays the teenage poverty-stricken girl with the crazy mom, meth-cooking dad, taking care of her younger brother and sister by hunting squirrels, bringing them up right or at least as best she can, being too proud to beg, but is forced to track her missing dad in the underworld of hillbilly meth-cookers so she can save their house since he put it up for bond. You know what that takes? That takes courage. And she's got it. Oh, and then she unfairly gets her ass kicked so she gets the opportunity to be all bloody and then still look like a bad-ass with a swollen up face while still being beautiful in her grittiness. Honestly, I don't know how she didn't get the oscar. (I guess Portman was just more rawer.) Anyway, I could go on and on, but the movie is good. My ranting is more to complain about the Academy Awards than about this movie. I liked this movie a lot. I give it 4 stars. And Jennifer Lawrence was good. You should watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment