Friday, February 15, 2013

#45 Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow. Written by Mark Boal.


SPOILER ALERT!!! We get Osama. (Or "UBL" as they like to refer to him in the movie.) I know I for one was sitting on the edge of my chair wondering. But yes, we do get him.

This movie was intense and forced you to pay attention almost to an extent that was tiring. However, it wasn't as smart of a movie as I had hoped. I very much dislike when "intelligence"-themed movies try to seem like they are smart by primarily making all the interactions slightly confusing. This movie was filled with a lot of jargon and incomplete conversations. I don't know if that sort of storyline makes other viewers think that they are using their brain a lot to follow the movie. For me, I really enjoy an "intelligence" movie when there is some actual intelligence involved in making the connections to either figure out whodunnit or find the bad guys. You know, where there's an actual point in the movie like a revelation, like, "wow, that took some smart thinking to figure that one out." Or, I don't know, at least used some sort of cool technology to outsmart the bad guys. There wasn't any moment like that in this movie. In fact, in many scenes I came away thinking how stupid the CIA was and how in reality they wouldn't have fucked it up like that at all. Namely, the upper al-Queda member who has been turned by Jessica, a CIA agent and best friend of Maya the main character, who the guards hesitatingly let through the checkpoints into the CIA black site simply because Jessica tells them to because now he's on their side. I think you can predict fairly well what happens at the end of this scene. Talk about a tense moment. Except for the fact that you could foresee it happening long before it does, and there are about a million "they would never have done that" moments involved. Anyway, as I was touching on before, there isn't really a very good connect-the-dots storyline of how they eventually get to UBL. They kinda just decide to try to find someone that no one wants to talk about regardless of how much they torture them and because he's acting kinda funny, like doing everything possible to not be tracked (a sure sign he's an important bad guy), and then the first moment they do find him, he just leads them right up to the compound by..... driving to it.

A lot of reviewers have commented about the use of torture in this movie and the movie-makers' stance on whether it was allowable or some say made even to look justifiable because it lead to finding Osama. I didn't much care for that aspect of the movie. Torture was bad. Osama was bad. I don't feel really strongly one way or the other about the fact that we got him. I'm really not a big "Yeah us!" proponent, so I didn't do any summersaults or anything when I heard that they killed him. I believe much more strongly that the anti-American sentiment throughout much of the rest of the world doesn't stem from terrorists and their inherent evilness as much as from our own foreign policy and the fact that corporate profits far and above anything else dictate national policy when it comes to oil-producing regions and the impoverished people that live there. But, the best review I came across of this movie was from an old classic movie reviewer, Roger Ebert (and he really went against the grain of what most other reviewers have been saying):
"The film's opening scenes are not great filmmaking. They're heavy on jargon and impenetrable calculation, murky and heavy on theory." He went on, "My guess is that much of the fascination with this film is inspired by the unveiling of facts, unclearly seen. There isn't a whole lot of plot – basically, just that Maya thinks she is right, and she is."
He gives it three stars out of four. And I give it 4 stars out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment