Wednesday, February 27, 2013

#60 Black Cat, White Cat (Crna mačka, beli mačor) (1998)

Directed by Emir Kusturica.






This was my first experience with Emir Kusturica. What a trip! To even get the slightest idea of the tone of this movie, just watch the youtube clip I have in this post. I know it lacks subtitles, but you don't necessarily need to understand the dialogue to get a feel for what this movie is like. I highly recommend it. It is chock-full of incredibly quirky and bizarre characters that are all ridiculously hilarious. I especially got a kick out of the ubiquitous flock of domestic geese hanging around and invading so many of the scenes. I can only imagine how crazy of an experience filming this gem would have been. I think that I will foray into Kusturica's weird world again to see what else there is to discover. Oh, and I can't forget to mention the lovely Branka Katić. It was very refreshing to see such an enchanting beauty appear in a comedy and not play the one-dimensional beauty/object of desire of a story. All of Katić's charm comes shining through as she is just another member of this crazy group of individuals who all come together to create such a wonderful and bizarre world. It really makes you wonder if life is just simply like that in the Balkans.

No comments:

Post a Comment